Friday, April 23, 2010

HOLY HOLY

i have around 30 tattoos. my knuckles say HOLY HOLY. i didn't realize it was my favorite word until i saw duly etched across my fingers. sometimes we learn by doing. i like that it sounds serious and elated. the sides of 4 of my fingers have secret bathroom initials poked with sewing needles and india ink. 520 is my area code, a tucson tattoo i made in portland. clay is my friend Clay's favorite word. my PAL is alix leigh perry. MK is for mary-kate olsen. seriously.

these hands change diapers now and clutch my tiny son wrapped in three blankets at once because April changed it's mind about spring.

on the inside of my left forearm is the image of St. Jude. the words "hey Jude" sit at his feet. the patron saint of not-any-time-soon and don't-hold-your-breath. drug dealers, border jumpers and kids with leukemia.

i have a rosary around my neck with the cross dangling 3 inches above my belly button. i hate misplacing lucky charms or sacred things. i like praying with my hands, my arms, my neck chest and stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment